The other day our internal router (we’ve got a Telia router guarding our WAN connection, and a pfSense watching over our LAN) decided to give in. Something happened to the internal disc (which happens to be a 4GB C/F card), and it just… stopped communicating with the outside world.
Maybe I could have flushed the disc and reinstalled, but I figured it’d be better to just grab a really, really old harddrive (a 3GB Quantum Fireball), hook it to the ITX mainboard running the router, and… run the pfSense installation from a CD I had lying around just in case.
The detection of the LAN interface (vr0) was automatic, while I had to look at the list of interfaces to guess which one was the WAN (since it refused detecting a link-up). Once I’d entered the interface name (ed0), though, both LAN and WAN were automatically configured.
Then, it was just a matter of resetting the webConfigurator password, setting an IP for the router itself, and then accessing it via a browser to set the DNS addresses (I use the Google public DNS addresses, 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11), and… I had internet access through our internal network again. Also set up the NAT needed to get access from the outside in.
Feels good to be back up.